Fructus Ligustri Lucidi
Source Fruit of Ligustrum lucidum Ait., family Oleaceae.
Characteristics Fruit elliptical 6r reniform, 6.0-8.5 mm long, 3.5-5.5 mm in diameter. Surface purple-dark, irregularly wrinkled. Pericarp thin, easily to be separated; pulp loose and soft; kernel yellow-brown, with longitudinal ridges, containing one seed. Sweet and bitter in taste, slightly cold in nature, and attributive to liver and kidney channels.
1. Tonify the liver and the kidney, darken the hair and promote the visual acuity: For deficiency of liver-yin and kidney-yin manifested as dizziness, tinnitus, blurring of vision, weakness of the loin and knees, hectic fever, nocturnal emission, alopecia and poliosis, usually used with Herba Ecliptae (Erzhi Pill). Recently also used for seborrheic alopecia, central retinitis, early cataract, etc.
2. Tranquilize the mind by nourishing the heart: For insufficiency of heart-yin manifested as insomnia, palpitation and precordial pain. Recently, also used for angina pectoris, hyperlipemia and neurasthenia, especially those of in-deficiency type.
In addition, also used for leukocytopenia, viral hepatitis with yin-deficiency syndrome; its component oleanolic acid for various kinds of hepatitis
1. Its component oleanolic acid can prevent and relieve cyclophosphamide-induced leukocytopenia in mice.
2. Enhancing the anoxia tolerance of mice under atmospheric pressure.
3. Increasing coronary flow in rabbits in vitro.
4. Relaxing adrenaline-induced vasocontriction in rabbits in vitro.
5. Lowering the level of blood lipid.
Decoction: 9-15g. Oleanolic acid tablet: 30~40 mg tid.
feel free to contact